This position will serve as the Taste NY Market Store Clerk for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Broome County and will work under the direction and supervision of the Taste NY Market Manager and Taste NY Assistant Market Manager. Primary responsibilities include assisting with management of inventory, operation of cash register, cash controls, customer service, food service/coffee product development and record keeping, including follow up on insurance applications. In addition, this position will assist with marketing, events and social media. On a daily basis the store clerk will inspect the store for cleanliness, organization and refill supplies as needed. The clerk is expected to discuss Broome County agriculture and local foods with customers to engage them in these areas and to provide information upon request about the food and farm products sold in the store.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply online by close of day on June 22, 2020 to be considered for this position. All applicants must submit a complete application online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/.
Please contact Carol Fetterman, Association Sr. Administrative Assistant at 607-772-8953 with questions.
This position is a part-time non-exempt position - 80% FTE, 30 hours per week. The hourly rate is $12.50. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education.
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Must be able to drive personal or Association vehicle for pick-up and delivery of product from the warehouse to the Taste NY Market (hand cart may be used for transportation purposes).
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Ability to complete basic math in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with the public.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to operate or learn to operate a cash register.
- Ability to use or learn to use Microsoft Word and Excel.
- One (1) year retail sales experience.
- Experience working in customer service and retail environments.
- Understanding of basic marketing.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Proficiency with internet based communications.
- Knowledge of the organization, operation, philosophy and objectives of Cooperative Extension.
- Knowledge of agriculture and agricultural practices.
Coordination/Operation - 95%
- Customer service – greets, assists and serves the needs of store customers.
- Store inspection, organization and recordkeeping. Must assist in maintaining a clean facility.
- Cash Controls – follow all procedures for proper management and handling of cash
- Assist with product applications and insurance follow up.
- Tracking and replenishment of store supplies and inventory.
- Receive and log scheduled deliveries. Track product inventory/follow receiving and shrink procedures.
- Coordinate coffee specials and inventory (ie: paper products, stirrers, coffee, syrups etc).
- Assist with promotion of agri-tourism in Broome County.
- Describe the local farms, produce, food and products displayed.
- Maintain equipment, troubleshoot if necessary and call for repair as directed.
- This position may require the transport of program participants and/or program materials and resources in performing position responsibilities.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Broome County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Association Admin Asst I
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.