This position will serve as the Taste NY Assistant Market Manager for Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Broome County and will work under the direction and supervision of the Taste NY Market Manager. This position will assist with the day-to-day operations, organization, and coordination of the Broome County Taste NY Program, which highlights local NY farm products, per the established Plan of Work. This position communicates with vendors, places timely orders to ensure adequate inventory to maximize sales and minimize loses. Communicates with TNY Staff regarding inventory levels and product movement. This position is the back up for the Taste NY Market Manager when the Taste NY Market Manager is not on duty.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS:
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING
All applicants must apply online by close of day on June 22, 2020 to be considered for this position. All applicants must complete an application online, which includes: cover letter, resume and three (3) references.
All External Applicants (including applicants currently employed by Cornell Cooperative Extension in Associations other than the Association advertising this career opportunity) must submit his/her application materials via the "APPLY" button located within this job posting.
All Internal Applicants (current employees working for the Association advertising this career opportunity) must apply online via his/her Workday account, which may be accessed here: http://workday.cornell.edu/.
Please contact Carol Fetterman, Association Sr. Administrative Assistant at 607-772-8953 with questions.
This position is a full-time exempt position - 100% FTE. The annual salary is $48,000.00. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education (Associate’s Degree and 2 years transferrable relevant evidence-based research experience).
- Experience relevant to the role of the position.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Master’s Degree in Marketing, Ag Development, Business Development or related field.
- Knowledge of the organization, operation, philosophy, and objectives of Cooperative Extension and its program at County, State and Federal levels.
- Knowledge of basic marketing strategies, advertising and distribution of products.
- Experience in purchasing, storing (inventory), and marketing local agriculture and/or retail food products.
- Experience in local food display, merchandising, and sales as well as the promotion of agri-tourism.
- Experience working directly with famers and artisanal manufacturers.
- Demonstrated experience with understanding detailed financial records of sales and marketing trends.
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to manage inventory, collect recommendations and recognize “top-sellers.”
- Demonstrated ability to do profit margin and performance analysis for products.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in professional team efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written and visual means using traditional educational tools and methods.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology (i.e. computers, internet, social media) effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize market and communication apps, QR codes, and other retail related technologies.
Direction - 10%
- Provide input to support the planning of educational programs to include, but not limited to planning the delivery of established educational program goals and planning the structure of delivering educational programs via various methods.
- Provide program related information to the budget development process and assist the Taste NY Market Manager in allocating budget amounts.
- Provide moderately complex administrative assistance to include, but not limited to, planning for mass media efforts related to the Broome County Taste NY Program; assisting the Taste NY Market Manager and/or Lead Executive Director in planning effective strategic marketing efforts, including major public affairs events and functions.
- Assist the Taste NY Market Manager in the development of the staffing plan by providing Broome County Taste NY Program information as needed.
- Assist in developing communication strategies for the Broome County Taste NY Program.
Management - 75%
- Solve problems and resolve conflicts that arise in the Broome County Taste NY Program utilizing appropriate policies and procedures, as needed.
- Ensure Broome County Taste NY Program activities conform with the Association’s Plan of Work.
- Support the allocation of program resources to accomplish Association program objectives within the Broome County Taste NY Program.
- Assist with monitoring the Broome County Taste NY Program income/expenses to ensure spending is within the program budget constraint.
- Provide administrative support in the management and implementation of communication strategies for the Broome County Gateway Taste NY Program.
- Ensure the Broome County Taste NY Program meet health, safety and other licensing standards and provide quality program experiences.
- Provide management (including recruitment and selection) and supervision (including guidance, performance feedback and annual performance reviews) to designated staff in accordance with established policies, procedures and protocol, and provide regular staffing updates to the Taste NY Market Manager as required.
- Manage/monitor store activities (surveys, sales, foot traffic, and educational programs) to ensure that established objectives are met.
- Guide expanding relationships with community members, agri-businesses, local farmers and community leaders to support programming efforts.
Coordination/Operation - 10%
- Provide moderately complex, specialized tasks in guiding the implementation of communication strategies in support of the Broome County Taste NY Program. Organize and coordinate all implementation efforts, planning and activities related to Broome County Taste NY Program.
- Coordinate the implementation of messaging and maintain an interactive kiosk and informational brochures to identify and promote local farms and farm products.
- Coordinate, compile and organize existing program resources and program materials.
- Under the direction of the Taste NY Market Manager, provide moderately complex administrative support to accomplish financial goals within the Broome County Taste NY Program to include, but not limited to: preparing materials for grant/contact proposal submission and providing required information needed in the financial documentation to meet the grant/budget requirements; preparing information and reports for budget preparation and allocation of budget amounts; preparing impact statements impact statements and success stories on program progress and accomplishments for funders, advisory committees, Board of Directors and others as requested.
- Perform record keeping, data management and program reports as required by the Association and contract requirements.
- Analyze consumer purchasing trends and assist with detailed reports on sales of products.
- Responsible for working with sales staff to ensure proper display and merchandising of products.
- Maintain inventory and work with collaborating partners to track sales with appropriate software; procure products based on needs and trends and schedule deliveries of products.
- Effectively maintain existing professional relationships with other agencies, organizations and businesses that promote effective communication and facilitate continued programming efforts.
- This position may require the transport of program participants and/or program materials and resources in performing position responsibilities.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes and Association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension and perform other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the Association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar with and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, Association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy - Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Aware of, and adheres to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Broome County policies, procedures and Cornell Cooperative Extension Skills for Success.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
Association Community Liaison
Pay Rate Type:
Number of Openings:
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate government agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University.
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell Cooperative Extension as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.