Job title: Box Office & Development Assistant (Part-Time/15-30 hrs./week) Location: Goodwill Theatre, Inc. Offices at 67 Broad Street, Johnson City, NY 13790 Reports to: General Manager, Christine Springer
The Goodwill Theatre Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization formed to acquire and renovate various properties in Johnson City, New York and to operate those properties as a world class performing arts and conference center focusing on education, training and entertainment. GWT has already acquired the essential real property and has raised several million dollars in government and private support thus far. It is about to commence a multi-million-dollar capital and operating campaign to complete the renovations and to fully staff the operations. GWT expects that over the next several years, it will recruit a number of positions that are necessary to reach the level of quality it seeks; however, it expects that during this growth stage, successful candidates will be willing and enthusiastic about performing multiple functions as needed to further the goals of the organization.
The Box Office & Development Assistant assists the Box Office Manager by answering phones and emails, providing public information for activities and events according to established procedures, and handling box office and concession tasks for events at the Schorr Family Firehouse Stage. Attendance at weekend shows is mandatory. This position provides extensive computer support in using our client relationship management (CRM) software for sales and reporting. Photocopying, filing, mailing, general bookkeeping, and other clerical duties to support the other staff members are necessary. Since most performances occur on the weekend and/or evening the position will have a flexible schedule. This position will also assist in volunteer coordination, under the direction of the Volunteer Coordinator, and will interface with volunteers at Schorr Family Firehouse Stage events. The Box Office & Development Assistant must possess strong communication, writing and multi-tasking skills, and be comfortable working with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Power Point and be experienced in database management and social media platforms.
- Answers phones and emails and provides the public with information on facilities and events according to established procedures.
- Registers patrons for events or courses; receives and documents cash, checks and charge payments; reports and documents box office and concession sales.
- Works Box Office and/or concessions at Schorr Family Firehouse Stage events; works rentals as needed; helps with technical tasks as needed.
- Assists with mailings.
- Composes, types, proofreads and copies memos, letters, mailings, invitations and other documents. May assist in publishing company documents as needed.
- Maintains basic logs and performs data entry; enters, upkeeps and mines data in databases; assists in report generation as needed.
- Performs general bookkeeping tasks at the direction of the Bookkeeper.
- Assists with fundraising event coordination and preparation.
- Assist with volunteer coordination and dealing with volunteers at Schorr Family Firehouse Stage events.
- Becomes cross trained on other administrative duties, as other projects and responsibilities may be added at the company's discretion.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- A minimum of an Associate’s Degree and 2 years of working in an office environment.
- Ability to maintain good working relationship with patrons, public and other staff.
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office Professional programs, including: Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, Power Point as well as database management and social media platforms.
- Ability to perform general box office services and generate necessary reports.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly express thoughts to others and exchange information; proficiency in grammar and spelling.
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality of files and other documents.
- Ability to work with money and cash receipts.
- Ability to dress in an appropriate manner.
- Flexibility in work habits and work schedule.
- General working knowledge of the arts.
Goodwill Theater Inc. provides equal employment opportunity to all people without regard to race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, sexual preference, or Vietnam Era Veteran Status, while affirmatively developing avenues of entry and mobility for minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and Vietnam Era Veterans.
General Operating Support is provided to Goodwill Theatre Inc. by a grant from the Broome County Arts Council’s United Cultural Fund.