Direct Support Professional
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs/teaches and reinforces accepted infection control and personal grooming techniques; performs/teaches and assists in bathing, toileting, dental care, hair and nail care, personal hygiene and grooming routines as necessary.
• Performs/teaches and assists individuals in dressing, clothing selection, storage, laundering and repair of clothing and accessories, may help them shop for clothing.
• Performs/teaches and assists in proper use and care of shavers and razors, eyeglasses, hearing aids, prosthesis as prescribed by appropriate medical practitioner.
• Administers and teaches individuals first aid treatments; administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation techniques, and performs other health related techniques as required.
• Takes records, reports temperatures, blood pressures, pulse rate, weight, and other significant symptoms/health related occurrences; aides consumer in understanding, recording, reporting such factors.
• Maintains confidentiality of information.
• Reports unusual incidents and physical symptoms promptly and accurately to the supervisor.
• Applies valid and accepted limits for inappropriate behavior.
• As per written behavior plan or emergency situation, helps individuals to gain control in situations that the consumer is causing harm to themselves, others, or their environment, or a credible threat of the above, utilizing approved SCIP-R techniques.
• Administers prescribed medications and treatments; teaches, observes, reports problems and progress in self-administration of medication programs. Assists individuals in achieving more independence in administration of medications. Teaches use of skin care lotions, topical ointment, eye and ear drops and assists in their use as needed.
• Accompanies individuals to medical, dental, and other pharmacy, takes medications to home site and logs same; instructs and observes individuals in use of these substances.