Under the direction of a Registered Nurse (RN) assess and monitor medical concerns, provides care to ill, injured or disabled program participants.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Performs/teaches and reinforces accepted infection control and personal grooming techniques; performs/teaches and assists in bathing, toileting, dental care, hair and nail care, personal hygiene and grooming routines as necessary.
- Performs/teaches and assists individuals in dressing, clothing selection, storage, laundering and repair of clothing and accessories, may help them shop for clothing.
- Performs/teaches and assists in proper use and care of shavers and razors, eyeglasses, hearing aids, prosthesis as prescribed by appropriate medical practitioner.
- Administers and teaches individuals first aid treatments; administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation techniques, and performs other health related techniques as required.
- Takes records, reports temperatures, blood pressures, pulse rate, weight, and other significant symptoms/health related occurrences; aides consumer in understanding, recording, reporting such factors.
- Maintains confidentiality of information.
- Reports unusual incidents and physical symptoms promptly and accurately to the supervisor.
- Applies valid and accepted limits for inappropriate behavior based on individual behavioral treatment plan.
- As per written behavior plan or emergency situation, helps individuals to gain control in situations that the consumer is causing harm to themselves, others, or their environment, or a credible threat of the above, utilizing approved SCIP-R techniques.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments; teaches, observes, reports problems and progress in self-administration of medication programs. Assists individuals in achieving more independence in administration of medications. Teaches use of skin care lotions, topical ointment, eye and ear drops and assists in their use as needed.
- Accompanies individuals to medical, dental, and other pharmacy, takes medications to home site and logs same; instructs and observes individuals in use of these substances.
- Complete all required documentation and reports according to program regulations, including program participants' medical reviews and charts.
- Relates effectively with others for continuity of care; maintains satisfactory relations with other departments and units.
- Administers medications skillfully and correctly.
- Keeps supervisor informed of individual needs and problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), valid New York State License
- One year nursing experience with OPWDD population.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of areas of practice specific to pediatrics, including child development and specific diagnoses.
- Working knowledge of public health problems and procedures for treatment in coordination with other health and social service agencies.
- Maintain SCIP-R certification
- Maintains a professional approach with confidentiality.
- Maintain acceptable standards of patient care.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, organization and active listening skills.
- Excellent organizational & time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Strong collaboration skills.
- Exceptional problem solving skills, including a proactive approach to problem solving and the ability to make quick and independent decisions in response to changing conditions.
- Demonstrates motivation to augment current level of knowledge and practice through participation in continuing education courses.
- Proficient with Internet Explorer; Microsoft Excel; Microsoft Outlook; Microsoft Word; and Windows Operating System.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds force constantly to move objects.
- Regularly required to reach with hands and arms.
- Regularly required to stoop, kneel, crouch and bend.
- Fingering is required regularly for typing and the use of hands in a repetitive motion.
- Regularly required to talk and hear with the ability to exchange and receive detailed information.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data, viewing computer screens.
- Required to function around disabled individuals.
- Working conditions of this position do not substantially expose workers to adverse environmental conditions and are typical of an indoor work environment.